Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Summer Learning Journey Day 2: Taking Action Activity 1: A Long Walk to Freedom

Nelson Mandela was an activist and civil rights leader who was born and raised in South Africa. For over 40 years (1948-1991), the country of South Africa had a political system called ‘apartheid’. This meant that there were different rules for people who had white skin than for those who didn’t. Nelson Mandela felt that this was very wrong and he fought for many years to change the law. Eventually he became the President of South Africa and ended apartheid, but not before spending 27 years in prison.

In Robben Island prison (where Mandela spent 18 years), life was very tough. Mandela had a tiny, damp, concrete cell, with only a straw mat to sleep on. During the day he was forced to work in a quarry, breaking rocks into gravel. He was only allowed to see one visitor and receive one letter every six months. At night, Nelson read and studied to be a lawyer.
...................................................................................................................................................................My Learning:
This day has been terrifying because I have entered prison. I'm Mr. Mandela and this is my first day in prison. I've learnt my lesson and I want to see the outside world. The only way I can see the outside world is through these bars I look out every single hour. But I can see the rest of my life in this caged prison. I'm terrified. Please if you're someone out there help me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment